[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 5: The Hardest Nos]

Terry Hanson wolfgrrl at bratgrrl.com
Thu May 3 05:43:47 UTC 2007

I have been a volunteer firefighter for six years. The only difference between
us and paid firefighters is they get paychecks. We have to have all the same
skills and training. We take our duties and public safety very seriously, and
are proud to serve our communities. There is a lot of camaraderie and
loyalty; it's like a family. So you can imagine how hard it was to leave my
fire department and join a different one, because the good fire chief left
and was replaced by an incompetent ass-kissing weasel. But I was afraid for
my safety, and didn't want to waste my time on a department that would not
invest in adequate training and recruiting. In fact Chief Weasel has a talent
for attracting wife-beaters, thieves, and wannabe-felons. In a very short
time, a first-class fire department has degenerated into a laughingstock, and
a danger to public safety. Which don't seem to matter to the evil Ms. City
Manager or Chief Weasel.

So I resigned last October, after being given an invitation by a neighboring
fire department to join them.  I spend too much time considering my loyalty
against my safety and friends on the department.  I apply at the other
department, find out it's a "100% yes" vote to be a member, and get accepted.
Since then, I have had training every week, I get to work with a first-class
team, and I actually feel safe.

Meanwhile, back at the Chief Weasel ranch, conditions are dire. Two of my good
friends, (husband and wife) that are still on the old dept., do nothing but
complain to me and voice their concerns about safety and how the Weasel will
not back them when they want any kind of professional training outside of the
department, and they don't do any in-house either.  Boy do I remember this!
I become a good sponge, listen to everything, let them vent.  I make
suggestions,  nothing is done, I continue to listen and hold their hands.
Finally, about two weeks ago, wife asks me to help them file a complaint to
the right people.  She has a phone number to call, she and he are scared.  I
say I will, I make the call, I'm referred to the proper people, I make
complaint, get info, and get it back to H&W.  After all, I'm now an outsider,
and it looks better coming from within the department.  Everything is
guaranteed for confidentiality.

Is this a good time to mention that Weasel is also someone I have to work with
on a professional level every day, and things are tense between us anyway
because I quit his department, and he knows I think he sucks?  The same
person I loaned money to to bring his son, wife, and baby over here from
across the US, who skipped out, and I had to threaten with legal action to
get paid back? (see lesson 5 for details)

OK, H & W now get scared of repercussions.  They own a business, small town,
what will happen to them, what will happen to me since we work together,
Weasel will know it's them, etc... I inform them that I'm still going through
with it, w or w/o them, their safety issues also affect me and my department,
I'm not worried about my job, and he will probably know anyway. I'm ready to
drop them cold, ready to tell them not to make one more peeping complaint to
me. They think it over a weekend.  On our next meeting, they inform me that
they have taken first step and made the call. The person called is now on
vacation for a week, but they have taken the first step. I let them know if
they needed some support to let me know.  I feel something good will happen,
some investigation into the problem of which neither Chief Weasel  nor evil
Ms CM will listen to. I'm somewhat disappointed that nobody in the dept. was
spineful enough to do something about it, but maybe, finally, the hose is
starting to squirt some water.