[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 5: The Hardest Nos]

Listpig listpig at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 04:03:36 UTC 2007

Do you know, I don't know that that's quite the case (slacker assumptions).
I've run into this syndrome both working at home and working third shift.
It seems to me more that people assume that if you are not a) out in a
non-home place of business and b) that during "normal daylight business
hours", then you're "not doing anything important" and "utterly available."

In the case of working from home, obviously, they don't grok that that's
just as much "work" as if you had to go ride a bus half an hour to get to an
office.  In the case of night shift workers, they don't seem to grasp that
you really *do* have to sleep sometime, and people who work when they're
asleep don't get some sort of magic "sleep pill" to make up the difference.

 "But surely you can watch my kids all day, and then socialize with me all
evening, and then go to work at night, and then watch my kids again all day
tomorrow.....I really can't see where the problem is...."

--pig