[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 3: 101 Satisfying Retorts For All Occassion]

Gretchen Dziengel gdziengel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 02:05:44 UTC 2007

My favorite comeback:

Are you saying.......?

Examples:
Are you saying you don't think I can finish this project?
Are you saying you don't think I can move that? (usually in reference
to a heavy monitor or box)
Are you saying I look crabby today?

While most people aren't afraid to make snide remarks, very few of
them are willing to come out and say to my face that they think I am
doing a bad job or that they think I can't do it.  For the few that do
say something, I follow up with a frosty "Why?"  If they continue to
be an asshole about the issue, I'll finish up with "I'm sorry you feel
that way." and proceed to ignore them.

I haven't used this in online confrontations, I've quickly discovered
that changing anyone's mind through e-mail or forum discussion is
futile.

Gretchen