[Courses] [gimp] EXIF (was Lesson 1: (homework done))

Poppy Casper photopoppy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 16:07:55 EST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:23:36 -0800, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:

> What version of gimp?  Gimp got EXIF handling fairly recently,
> in the middle of the 2.0 series -- maybe around 2.0.4?
> You still can't edit EXIF from within gimp (that's being worked
> on!) but it does preserve what's there.

It's 2.2.3, the newest stable.... I suspect that there might be
something that it's not pulling quite right in libexif-9 *OR* possibly
something in libexif-9 that's not liking Windows environments. I'm not
enough of a programmer to grab source code for either one and review
it to see where the problem is.

> Apparently there are some issues with the libexif on Windows,
> though, so even in newer gimps not all may be well there.
>
> If so, do you know about jhead?  It's a great little commandline
> program for displaying and editing EXIF, and one of its options
> is "Copy all the exif from files in this directory to similarly
> named files in this other directory", which is great for restoring
> EXIF that got removed somehow.  It also has options like "Make the
> image smaller by removing things like integral thumbnails".
>
> http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
> (Also good for anyone curious about what EXIF is and what it's good for.)

Hey, that's pretty cool. I don't always keep my originals unmodified
(bad poppy, no cookie!) so it's only halfway to a solution for me, but
halfway is better than nothing!

--Poppy