[Courses] [gimp] Lesson 1: Cropping and Rescaling an Image

Karine Proot kproot at nerim.net
Sun Jan 30 21:01:33 EST 2005

Hello Akkana and GIMP course followers,

I do not own any digital camera, but I use a scanner and I have the same
problem as I scan my drawings on high resolution - the picture ends up
being 5000 x 7000 pixels, weighing more than 100 Mo !

I have put my homework on my (not yet published) weblog. There are
screenshots detailing Akk's lesson, but the text is in french (anyway it
is more or less a translation of Akk's great course).
Lesson 1 is at http://edhel.nerim.net/soeurs/article.php3?id_article=11

I just saw some small differences with the description of zoom and of
the Scale dialog :

Akkana Peck wrote:
> Zooming, and Current Image Size
>
> In the GIMP image window, unless your image is very small, GIMP
> is probably showing your image smaller than its full size.  You
> can tell by looking at the image window's titlebar, which shows
> the current zoom percentage.  If it says 100%, you're seeing your
> image as other people would see it.  If it says anything else,
> then you're not.
I don't have anything talking about zoom in the title bar, but I have
the zoom dropdown at the bottom.

> The Scale dialog has two sections: Pixel Dimensions, and Print Size.
> Don't get confused by these!  Pixel Dimensions are the size of the
> image in pixels: for example, 640 wide by 480 high for a typical large
> web image, or 1600 wide by 1200 high for a 2 megapixel camera image.
> Pixel dimensions are almost always what you care about.
I don't have the Print Size section, it is in another dialog in Image
menu, called Print Size (you can see a screenshot of my Scale dialog on
the given link, though it is in french).

Both of these remarks are true for GIMP 2.2 I got through gentoo's
packaging system, and for cvs GIMP 2.3. I wonder if I'm the only one
seing those that way ?

Karine