[Courses] [gimp] EXIF (was Lesson 1: (homework done))

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Jan 31 15:23:36 EST 2005

Poppy Casper writes:
> In the middle of this, I realized something that bugs me - Gimp is
> erasing the Exif data from my images when I save them. Apparently,
> it's a known bug, and may actually be specific to Gimp in Windows.
> Still...... I like being able to look back at my pictures and see what
> shutter speed and aperture I used to get that effect.

What version of gimp?  Gimp got EXIF handling fairly recently,
in the middle of the 2.0 series -- maybe around 2.0.4?
You still can't edit EXIF from within gimp (that's being worked
on!) but it does preserve what's there.

Apparently there are some issues with the libexif on Windows,
though, so even in newer gimps not all may be well there.

If so, do you know about jhead?  It's a great little commandline
program for displaying and editing EXIF, and one of its options
is "Copy all the exif from files in this directory to similarly
named files in this other directory", which is great for restoring
EXIF that got removed somehow.  It also has options like "Make the
image smaller by removing things like integral thumbnails".

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
(Also good for anyone curious about what EXIF is and what it's good for.)

	...Akkana