[Courses] [Security] Sendmail config

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Fri Mar 8 18:02:44 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Hamster (Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:55:12AM +0100):
> "Thus quoth the Raven"
> (I've always wanted to say that!)

	Yah, I get a lot of Poe jokes.  [grin]  Doesn't help that I live
in Baltimore at the moment.

> 	It's not.  1052 is the process ID of the running http server.
> (That's what the -p in netstat -pl does -- shows the pids associated
> with the processes listening on each port.)  Http is by default on port
> 80, and the vast majority of the web servers out there use the default
> port.
>
> Crap I feel stupid :))) But I am glad I embarrased myself here!!!!

	Don't feel stupid.  Seriously.  I'm really glad when people ask
questions about things that don't make sense to them.  And you did know
that Web servers normall listen on port 80, and saw this as an anomaly.
That to me is a troubleshooting mind, not someone stupid.

	And that goes for the rest of you, too.  And for me.   [grin]

	Nobody is born with Phenomenal Unix Powers.  We all have to ask,
learn, and sometimes learn through screwing up.  I know I've done that
often enough.  Last week I learned what happens if you compile your
kernel with the wrong processor type.  (It doesn't boot.  It gets
through LILO, does the first half of the ..... lines before it gets to
"Uncompressing the kernel", and reboots.  Endlessly.)  I have a long
list of ways I've screwed up that I've learned from, and I'm sure most
of the rest of you do too.  So don't feel bad for not knowing something
through Mystic Geekness.  I don't.

Can't remember if she's a K-6 or a Duron,
Raven

"Sed, sed, awk.  Like duck, duck, goose.  Sync, sync, halt.  It's the
 order of nature."
  -- me, after too long a day at work