[Courses] [Security] Class formats and contents

Helen Rosseau hrosseau at vistar.ca
Mon Mar 4 13:32:13 EST 2002

"Raven, corporate courtesan" wrote:

> Heya --
>
>         Okay, I'm assuming that enough time has passed that anyone who's
> interested has had time to subscribe to this list.  [grin]
>
>         Could the people who are here for the security class give me an
> idea of how you'd like to see the class structured, and how much
> experience you've had with this sort of thing?  That way I can try to
> make sure that I'm not boring y'all with things you've done a million
> times, or going way over your heads with some sort of arcane voodoo
> that's completely incomprehensible.
>
>         As far as format goes, I can see a couple different options.
> Guided discussion (my favorite), free-for-all discussion, or following a
> book.  Does anyone have preferences?
>
>         If we go for guided discussion, I think a good place to start
> would be networked services, why you want to limit them, and how to turn
> off ones you're not using.  Perhaps firewalls after that?  Let me know
> how you think that sounds.
>
> Cheers,
> Raven

I like the ideas that you have put forward Raven on networked services
and then firewalls.  I have had quite a few issues with these in the
past few months with linux.  Previously most of my networking was with
unix and cisco routers.
	Permissions with different services as well, would be great.

Helen