[Techtalk] Listing differences between directory trees/contents

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 18:52:28 UTC 2022

I have a large-ish collection of audio CDs, which I have put on to my
hard drive as .flac files.

I have also got a 125Gb SD card in my Samsung tablet, and I copied the
whole tree to the SD card.  The collection takes up roughly half of the
capacity of the card.

Unfortunately, I discovered that some files are missing in the SD card
copy.  Also, I noticed that a few files that are on the card have a
slightly smaller reported size than the ones on my hard drive.  This
may or may not be a problem.

I want to have a listing of the 2 directory trees, including file
sizes, so that I can find the differences and correct things.  (A full
'ls -R' listing is over 3000 lines - there are a lot of files!).  With
suitable listings I could perhaps use 'diff' to find the errors on the
SD card, or import both listings to a spreadsheet which might be more
flexible.

For each file and directory I only need the relative path, the name
and, in the case of a file, the size.  Despite a lot of internet
searching I haven't found a practical way of achieving what I want,
although it seems a pretty basic thing to want to do!

Does anyone have a script that would do it, or suggestions about how I
can get the result I want?

David