[Techtalk] stuck setting up vpn YAY! Success!

mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org
Wed Apr 6 09:12:50 UTC 2022

SH,

I did follow your suggestion with regard to using OpenVPN.

The OpenVPN documentation was pretty opaque, but with a little faith (and
having just finished two of Andy Weir's optimstic nerd-protagonist books)
to plug the gaps in the erroneous/non-existent documentation on the VPN
provider's site, I did get the thing going.

The vpn provider's PPTP wiki/tutorial just didn't work.  It seems to be
outdated or just plain wrong.  I took the only file they gave me, moved it
to what seemed like a logical place in my Debian system, the openvpn
client config file, renamed it to end in .ovpn and started openvpn using
that filename.

Traceroute and ifconfig seem to show it worked.  Thank you for
recommending using OpenVPN instead.

MG