[Techtalk] seeking backup solution recommendations

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Wed Feb 10 12:28:55 UTC 2021

The big advantage of tapes is that you can archive them in a fire-safe, take
copies offsite and, if your dataset grows, just add more tapes.

The big disadvantage of tapes is that you have to manage a growing
collection of tapes, refrest your tapes, move them to later formats and tape
drives are expensive.

They're still well worth it at work / enterprise.  Less so for home use...

Conor

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 02:01:40PM +0200 or thereabouts, Maria Sund wrote:

> Rudy Zijlstra kirjoitti 10.2.2021 klo 13.07:
> >Hi Meryll,
> >
> >Have you looked at rdiff-backup? Do not know if it will work in your setup
> >though, as it is not the fastest. It is cli based though and make
> >differential backups
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Rudy
> Rsnapshot is one solution that might work also. Rsnapshot makes it easy to
> make periodic snapshots of local machines, and remote machines over ssh. The
> code makes extensive use of hard links whenever possible, to greatly reduce
> the disk space required. There are no tapes to change, so once it’s set up,
> your backups can happen automatically untouched by human hands. And because
> rsnapshot only keeps a fixed, but configurable number of snapshots, the
> amount of disk space used will not continuously grow.
>
> I have no experience about tapes, so I have no idea if this is too slow
> solution.
>
> https://rsnapshot.org/
>
> @@ Maria
>

> >On 09-02-2021 05:55, Meryll Larkin wrote:
> >>Hi Little Girl,
> >>
> >>Whoops!  You are correct.  I did receive a response from you! You wrote
> >>about GRsync and I forgot about it because you mentioned "dry run
> >>button".
> >>
> >>I'm working with the Linux command line and I SHOULD have asked - what
> >>happens with GRSync if I don't have access to "GUI"?
> >>
> >>Yes, I know  how to do ssh X forwarding, the problem is that the
> >>connection
> >>is so slow... screen redraw takes forever and it always feels like it is
> >>about to freeze or drop.    If there is a command line menu or command
> >>line
> >>options, that would be better for me.   I guess I can research that,
> >>too.
> >>
> >>I have used (regular) rsync for backups for years, and it is the
> >>solution I
> >>use in my own home - I created an rsync script that runs weekly with
> >>cron.
> >>
> >>My experience with (regular) rsync and the tapes that I am using is that
> >>tar
> >>with the right BlockSize and blocking-factor tends to be faster.
> >>Faster is important when the issue is input to a single tape of a
> >>repository
> >>with 25T of data.
> >>
> >>Still good to hear of another option though.  Someone will probably
> >>benefit
> >>from your information.
> >>
> >>Thank you,
> >>Meryll Larkin

Conor Daly (Meteorologist),
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,
Dublin 9, Ireland
Ph +3531 8064261

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.