[Techtalk] Linux of old laptops

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Tue Aug 25 19:03:52 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:18 AM Tricia Bowen <tricia.bowen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> My school district has run into a Chromebook shortage. Not all students
> will have access to one to start remote learning on the first day of
> school. Community members are donating old laptops to the district and the
> district is converting them to Chromebooks. However, CloudReady from
> Neverware can't be installed on super old laptops live like my 1988 Sony
> Vaio. What's a good linux distro that I can install that would allow
> students to open Google Chrome and login to Google Classroom?

Unfortunately the limiting factor won't be the operating system, but
Google Chrome and Google Classroom themselves. As a video-driven
platform, the experience will likely not be very good for the student
if you have less than 2G of RAM, even with a really slim Linux
distribution :(

Once your requirement is 2G of RAM, you're quickly getting into
requiring a laptop made after 2010.