[Techtalk] recommendations for distros wanted

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sun Mar 24 17:36:41 UTC 2019

Billie, interesting question... does the .DirIcon have to be a
particular size?
I didn't know the answer to this so I loaded a simple svg icon into Gimp
as a 2,000 pixel square bitmap and saved it out as a png file. Next I
copied it to a test folder, then renamed the png image as ".DirIcon". It
works perfectly well. However the folder's image displays as no more
than 48 pixels square, even though it is 2,000 pixels square. This
remains true even if dropped onto the desktop.

I've actually been moving in the opposite direction for some time now,
making my icons smaller. Many of my icons are deliberately 16 pixels
square, as I consider it an important challenge to be able to clearly
convey a concept in that small a symbol.

I was surprised that standard wordpress prefers for its favicon an image
that is at least 512x512 pixels. It resizes it to 16x16, I think for
display. I'd thought this a weird thing to do, as the image never
displays as more than 16x16 anyway, right? But I was wrong. Recently I
gave a tablet computer to my Dad to discourage him from reading awful
newspapers, and I set up shortcuts on its desktop to websites I thought
he'd like. I was surprised that the shortcut to my hand-coded, static
website which uses a 16x16 favicon displayed on the desktop as blurry
and blocky. Suddenly I understood the purpose of the 512x512 icons in
wordpress.

I have a test wordpress site that I use to experiment with. Out of
interest I looked at the code it uses in its page head for a 512x512
favicon named pic-512.png. It has resized it as 4 different images and
linked to those:

<link rel="icon" href="http://[path to image]/pic-512-32x32.png"
sizes="32x32" />
<link rel="icon" href="http://[path to image]/pic-512-192x192.png"
sizes="192x192" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="http://[path to
image]/pic-512-180x180.png" />
image]/pic-512-270x270.png" />

After looking into this more I found out the 32x32 image is for the
normal (16x16) favicon image.
The 192x192 image is for Android Chrome.
And the 180x180 image is for Apple products (apparently it can
alternatively use rel="apple-touch-icon" instead).
I haven't found out about the 270x270 image, but judging by its name I
presume it's for Microsoft's latest unwieldy OSes.

Thank you for prompting me to look into this. I learn something new
every day.

Best wishes,

     - Miriam

--
The only person that you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.
  -- Ain Eineziz