[Techtalk] {SPAM 05.1} Re: Problem with tunneling SSH

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Thu Jul 12 14:26:19 UTC 2018

On 12.07.18 11:34, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 10:18 +0100, James Sutherland wrote:
>> On 12/07/2018 10:02, David Sumbler wrote:
>>> Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your messages; I was
>>> away
>>> cycling in Scotland until yesterday.
>> You timed that well - it's pouring with rain here now, after a long
>> heatwave!
>>
>> The problem here is she's behind 'NAT', sharing a single IP address
>> with
>> everyone on that network - outgoing connections will work fine, but
<snip>

>> James.
> Thanks for all that.  I'll try it the next time I can access her
> machine.  There is no perceptible pattern to when she remembers about
> the computer and decides to switch it on.
>
> My brother and I always seem to be lucky with the weather for our
> cycling trips.  We actually finished in bright sunshine on
> Mondayafternoon, and left Fort William (by car) on Tuesday morning.  By
> the time we got to his house in Nottinghamshire, I gather it was
> already chucking it down in NW Scotland.

Cannot comment on the wheather :)

Another option you can consider if you have a server or mostly on
computer on your side, is to use openvpn. As long as you have port
forwarding in place on your side, the client at Margarets would happily
connect through a NAT or other firewall, as most of them allows pretty
much all outgoing traffic.

I do not know if ssh will keep re-trying. openvpn will do that. Most
distributions support openvpn as a service.

Cheers

Rudy