[Techtalk] Simple replacement for AIM with Pidgin

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 18:00:31 UTC 2017

Hey there,

David Sumbler wrote:

> I have now tried both of these.  The Jabber registration page has an
> out-of-date security certificate, so I tried Google Talk.  I already
> have a googlemail account so I logged in on Pidgin with this.  But
> Google then requires that I allow "access for less secure apps".  I
> have done this with some unease, because although I don't use
> gmail, I do use my Google account for various other purposes.
>
> Presumably this is actually a problem with Pidgin, recognised by
> Google.  (Or perhaps Google are simply wrong.)  Still, I would
> rather use an account which is unconnected to anything else I do,
> just as my AIM account is.

I agree with Poppy. In my experience, Google considers anything other
than the use of its own interface as "less secure apps". I had to set
my Gmail to allow access for less secure apps in order to access my
Gmail with Claws Mail (I can't stand using my browser for email).

The way I see it, it's just a caution that you may be using something
that isn't secure, but the setting doesn't mean that you definitely
are. Google doesn't check or verify the security of every possible
method of access that's available, so it may seem harsh to
consider something you trust (like an offline email program) as less
secure, but Google is just using an abundance of caution for your
protection. Whether something you use is actually secure or not will
be up to the findings you get from the research you do.

I believe that, by default, you receive a Gmail message any time you
access your account in what Google considers to be a less secure
way, and this is a setting you can configure.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.