[Techtalk] Simple replacement for AIM with Pidgin

Poppy Lochridge poppy at netcorps.org
Fri Mar 3 17:43:45 UTC 2017

My experience has been that Google considers many things "less secure apps" - which is not absolutely an indictment of the app. I encounter this regularly with Windows clients who want to use Outlook with their G Suite account. (Outlook security has never been perfect, but has come a long ways from where it used to be - and the biggest security risk is what it always has been - the person at the keyboard)

If you're still concerned, you might be able to create a second Googlemail account for Chat, keep it segregated from your current one. Unless there's a better suggestion out there - I haven't used Pidgin in some time, not sure what it's currently supporting.

--Poppy