[Techtalk] Unreadable(?) pdf files

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 20:27:45 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-03-12 at 11:20 +0000, James Sutherland wrote:
> One other option you might try is opening the files in CorelDraw, since
> that seems to be the application which created them originally? I looked
> online and saw a few references to it creating PDFs which appear blank
> in other applications, due to different interpretations of the PDF
> standard. CorelDraw itself is probably the most likely to understand its
> own output, after all.

I do not have access to CorelDraw, and even if I had it would presumably
mean using a Windows machine or emulator.

However, I find that sK1 supposedly can act as a substitute, so I
downloaded it.

In order to run 'python setup.py build' (prior to 'python setup.py
install') as instructed in the README file, I needed to install quite a
number of packages on my Ubuntu 12.04 system.  The packages required are
listed in README.

All of them installed without difficulty apart from one:
'sudo apt-get install liblcms2-dev' produces the following error
message:

***
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 liblcms2-dev : Depends: liblcms2-2 (= 2.2+git20110628-2ubuntu3.1) but
2.4-0ubuntu3.1~precise1~ppa1 is to be installed
***

I do not understand this message, nor what I should do about it.  I ran
'sudo apt-get autoclean' but this did not help.

liblcms2-2 is already installed, and is "already the latest version".

How do I get around this problem?

David