[Techtalk] GIMP: Changing all set pixels to black

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 15:35:11 UTC 2016

Thanks you, both for your help in this.

Akkana's answer provided most of what I needed: my requirements are very
simple, because the images are simply contour lines (from a map) which I
want to fill and use in QGIS.  Absolute precision is not essential, so
it does not really matter whether the contour line itself is ultimately
shown as part of its fill or whether it appears as part of the next
layer down.  All I want to be able to do ultimately is to be able easily
to see summits, cols, watersheds and (where there are any) depressions.

Miriam's very detailed suggestions will be very useful in the future,
and I shall keep them carefully - that curve tool has long been a
mystery to me!  However, after some bewildered experimentation (which
seemed to achieve nothing), I discovered how to use it to change all the
blacks to any other colour I want, which is excellent.

So I can now achieve the result I wanted.  Thank you again.

David

Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com>On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 16:21 -0700,