[Techtalk] GIMP: Changing all set pixels to black

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Jan 7 23:21:44 UTC 2016

David Sumbler writes:
> so the pixels in the outline are not all black, but various
> shades of grey.
>
> I want the outline to be entirely black ...
> If I use the colour picker on one of these grey pixels, it actually
> produces black, so I think that they are not really grey at all, but
> black with some degree of transparency.
>
> The answer would seem to be to remove all transparency from the layer at
> the outset.

Remove Alpha Channel (in the right-click context menu for the layer
in the Layers dialog) should remove any transparency from the layer.

That will probably make the grey areas grey even if they were
transparent black before. But at that point, you should be able to
use Colors->Threshold and drag the slider all the way to the right
to make them black again.

At least I hope so. :-) If it doesn't work, post again (and it might
help if you could upload the image, or at least the layer).

        ...Akkana