[Techtalk] How to do Multi-Language documents and e-mail...

Alison Chaiken alison at exerciseforthereader.org
Sun Dec 4 00:57:15 UTC 2016

"agoats at compuserve.com" notes:
> It is "Input Method Editor" and there are quite a few. Slackware came
> with SCIM, but I have not been able to get it work inside of anything.
> can get some things to show up, it gives me Hiragana, Katakana and
> Kanji, but no way to get the characters into OpenOffice or Thunderbird
> (or anything else for that matter). It is noted for not being very
> friendly and not always working very well.

Here's a method that gives me the German keymap for any KDE-Debian
application:

http://she-devel.com/GermanKeyboard/

I would guess that the method is extensible to any other language, but
not to GNOME or XFCE.   I find KDE more configurable than GNOME or XFCE,
which is why I've chosen it.

HTH,
Alison

---
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)             {she-devel.com,
exerciseforthereader.org}
You are only as good as your last mistake. -- Captain Glenn, _Ninety
Percent of Everything_