[Techtalk] Sound problem

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sat Dec 3 13:21:04 UTC 2016

David,

Did you get any responses about your sound problem? Have you solved it?
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about
sound systems and put off replying because I figured somebody knew
better than me.

If you run hardinfo and under Computer > Kernel Modules look for entries
that begin with "snd_" you should find several entries that give clues
to your audio system.

I've noticed sometimes VLC didn't correctly find my audio output and
needed to be told in its settings.

If you have alsamixer I believe that sets the audio system output.

Maybe jack is taking over the sound and not letting other programs get a
look in. Try shutting down jack to see.

What about low-level programs? Do you have sox installed? It has the
"play" program that lets you play sounds from the commandline. It also
gives some diagnostic messages too.

Cheers,

     - Miriam