[Techtalk] grub rescue partition issue

Chaiken, Alison alison at exerciseforthereader.org
Sun Sep 20 15:44:03 UTC 2015

> I accidentally deleted an Ubuntu partition but stopped mid-way when I
> realised my mistake, then was using the machine for some time (so I
> assume my data is there somewhere on the disk).

If I were you, I'd copy my data off (assuming you don't have a backup),
repartition the disc, then copy the data back.    Attached is a screen
capture of how I performed such an operation in 2009 on a Fedora 13
system where the problem was caused by my accidentally writing garbage
to one disk in an LVM logical volume.    Therefore the session shows my
booting from a SystemRescueCD USB stick, removing the disk from the
volume, then using SystemRescueCD
"Data Recovery Tools" to copy off my files.   The log is full of ncurses
spew because it really is a screen capture, but perhaps you may find
something of use there.   Recently I've found gparted LiveCD better than
SystemRescueCD, but they're both great.

-- Alison

---
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)             {she-devel.com,
exerciseforthereader.org}
The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out of stones.  -- Alejandro
Agag, CEO of Formula-E