[Techtalk] grub rescue partition issue

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 17:01:53 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 3:19 PM, SVAKSHA <svaksha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using a live cd, I can only see these two partitions exist: /dev/sda2
> and the lvm partition is /dev/sda5 but I am not sure where the data
> is. How do I figure out the right partition from where I can retrieve
> my data, as much as possible, then reinstall the OS if I cannot
> reinstall grub to boot the desktop?

if you can boot from a live cd, then you should be able to mount them.

what is your problem?

 lvm vgscan -v
 lvm vgchange -a y
 lvm lvs –all
 mount /dev/volumegroup/logicalvolume /abc

> https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/repair-linux-boot-with-grub-rescue/#basic-commands-available,
> says one should set the prefix according to your own drive name, so
> should it be `set prefix=(hd0,5)/grub` or something else?

set prefix=(hd0,5)/boot/grub

set the root etc

insmod normal

etc

If your system is reasonably fine then you should be able to boot from
grub rescue mode.

Best

A. Mani

Prof(Miss) A. Mani