[Techtalk] moar on mobile internet - Linux?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Oct 20 02:19:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:36:37 -0700
Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

The thrilling conclusion: I went with overpriced under-featured AT&T. I
get 20GB per month for $110, plus $20/mo for a "mobile hotspot". It's a
wireless router, no matter what dumb name they call it. Speeds are
stunning: 1.5 Mbps down, .75 up. But higher speeds are pointless
anyway, as sucking up my entire bandwidth cap in a couple of minutes
doesn't accomplish anything. It was very easy: pay them too much money,
turn on my little wireless hotspot, and instant Internet.

AT&T is the only 4G LTE provider in my area. Verizon and T-Mobile are
stuck on 3G. It's a sweet little racket because you pay the premium
rates no matter how sucky the coverage is.

Century Link makes sincere promises of "expanding our coverage Real
Soon Now". Which means sometime after the heat death of the universe.
There are various independent broadband wi-fi ISPs who think people
like me need to go out and find them a ton of customers before they
move into a neighborhood.

I get 2-3 bars most of the time, and it's reliable. Good enough for now.

Carla