[Techtalk] xfs repartitioning 2

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:36:26 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 11:36 PM, Meryll Larkin <mll at alwanza.com> wrote:
> If someone could help me out either with
> 1. the syntax that I need for "parted"  or
> 2.  booting into CentOS CD OTHER than the "rescue" mode that will help me solve my problem, that would be more helpful.

Syntax of parted : you can always get it by typing help

#parted <name of device>
# p

If you are using logical volumes, then those would be indicated by flags

Read this example:
http://honglus.blogspot.in/2012/09/create-gpt-partition-for-lvm-using.html
and the example in James's post

then follow the steps I mentioned earlier

every partition would be numbered 1, 2, 3, ...

Your operations will be on numbers

# rm 1

will delete partition 1

# mkpart primary start end

is for making partitions

Read The LATEST Fine Manual RTLFM :)

*** Don't try formatting from parted.

mkfs.xfs will likely take a lot of time - that is the way.

Best

A. Mani

Prof(Miss) A. Mani
CU, ASL, AMS, ISRS, CLC, CMS