[Techtalk] Fw: pulseaudio defaults help

Trish Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Wed Jun 3 04:51:23 UTC 2015

Heya!

> Sorry, sent this to Trish by mistake---
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>

> On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 13:24:33 +1000
> Trish Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org> wrote:
>
> >  I've let Skype have the USB headset,
>
> How do you do that? That's exactly what I want to do, which is what I
> thought I said in my OP but nobody seems to be reading it that way. I
> want to make static configs and not have PA change them randomly,
> which is what it does now.

In Skype, I checked "let skype adjust my mixer levels" and then opened
pavucontrol (there's a button on the skype options/sound dialog). Then
I made a test call and set the pulseaudio option while it was running,
- in the Playback tab, once Skype is making a sound, it shows up and
there's a drop-down to choose which output to use. It stuck for me.

For the microphone, same thing; click the Recording tab in pavucontrol
and start up the test call, at some point Skype will show on the tab,
and you can choose USB headset and look at the pretty vu slider jumping
side to side.

If you've already tried this and it didn't stick, I'd have to wonder if
there's a permissions issue? (There's a pulseaudio dude in the Mageia
devs I can ask for more pointers if we need to.)

The split of headset-speakers I used in the Alsa days isn't possible
any way but my previous tip, I don't think - at least, I haven't found
it.

Cheers!

--
Trish Fraser, VVMZ4 91L2V -35.67910, 142.66607
Wed Jun  3 14:43:23 AEST 2015