[Techtalk] satellite vs. mobile internet

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Jul 31 17:44:38 UTC 2015

On 07/31/2015 12:23 PM, Carla Schroder wrote:
> O Techtalk Hive Mind,
>
> I am moving to a new home that has only Wild Blue, Hughes Net, and
> mobile Internet. No dialup, no DSL, no cable, no wifi. So, given the
> choice of satellite or 3G/4G, which would you choose? I don't need to
> stream tons of movies or games; I work at home, so I'm doing email,
> lots of Web surfing, and occasionally using VPN to connect to work
> servers. I work on my nice big Linux PC, not a tiny little mobile
> thingy.
>
> thanks,
> Carla

Satellite time lag is a bear. VOIP is impossible for all intents and
purposes. Some years ago we tried Hughsnet [ Direcway back then ]. We do
some work for a TV station in Wichita, Kansas, from here in Oklahoma.
Tracie was on the phone one evening with the owner in production during
a live show. They could each hear the time lag in the audio so Ron told
her he was going to put a graphic on the screen and she was to tell when
it appeared on her computer screen. The time lag was seven seconds.
Tried Wildblue also. Their cap was impossible for us to work with. Be
sure to read the fine print, closely.

If you can live with that kind of lag..........................

We have a 4G hotspot we travel with. For minimal usage it's really very
good [ we just have a minimal plan ]. Most of our travel is to Wichita
and we have fiber at the station and in the hotel their wireless is good
enough for e-mail.

--
A cat is a puzzle with no solution.

Cats are tiny little women in fur coats.

When you get all full of yourself try giving orders to a cat.