[Techtalk] The Dell XPS 13 Developers Ubuntu

Raena Lea-Shannon raen at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 27 01:10:45 UTC 2015

On 26/07/15 22:47, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 07/26/2015 03:08 AM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>> Hi Raena
>>
>> Op 26-07-15 om 09:59 schreef Raena:
>>> Hi LChx TT List
>>>
>>> If this is a bad list to discuss new hardware just boot me off and
>>> direct me to a better list or a better place.
>>
>> Anything Technical related is OK, so very much right list :)
>>>
>>> I need a light portable reasonably powerful laptop not a gaming
>>> device but nice for video.
>>
>> Personally i dislike Apple SW, but i admit to liking the laptops. I
>> dislike  the current crop of Lenovo because of its touchpad. The DELL
>> you are looking at i do not know, Sorry for that ;)
>>>
>>> I have read a bunch or reviews of the Ubuntu build of the Dell XPS
>>> 13 Developers Ubuntu Ed. They rave about how nice the laptop looks
>>> and its specs but it seems as if there are some niggles with getting
>>> the touchpad to work properly and the display to configure nicely.
>>> Whist I am not averse to tweaking about and have got alot of
>>> enjoyment and satisfaction from getting thing to work if I am paying
>>> $1500 for something that is pre-installed with Ubuntu I do not want
>>> to waste a weekend getting it running properly. If it means
>>> installing a newer version of Linux then fine.
>>>
>>> Should I be looking for another laptop?  Are the niggles worth it?
>>> Any feedback advice etc would be enormously appreciated.
>>>
>> Good luck finding a suitabke laptop !
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Rudy
>>
>> _______________
>
> I bought a "new old stock" HP Pavilion dv-7. AMD quad core with 8 gig
> memory. One really nice feature is that it has space for two hard
> drives. It also has a Blueray player DVD/CD burner drive but good luck
> playing Bluerays in Linux.
>
> With Kubuntu 14.04 everything works "right out of the box". No niggles.
>
> I moved the original Windows drive to the second position and
> installed the Kubuntu drive in the primary. Booted up, reconfigured
> Grub and was off and running. [ I took the drive out of my old Gateway
> laptop and put it in the HP. ]

Thankyou all for the replies. You sure have covered the spectrum from
DIY tablet to the dual drive HP and really have made me think very
broadly about what I am looking for.

The tablet idea is a great project but not really what I need for work.
I need to present stuff to client's     and the Dell XPS touch screen
and display are a big plus there. The HP DV is too heavy for me.

It seems that Dell is going to release an upgrade on its pre-install and
apparently Mint runs well on it.

I will keep an eye out for the upgrade.

Unfortunately thin and light in the lap means super heavy on the purse.
It is an indulgent price for a little machine but then again it is a
great thing IMHO that Dell are putting a GNU/Linux run product out there
that is usually only for Mac and Windows so I am kind of happy to pay
credit where it is due.