[Techtalk] Setting up an ADSL router for remote access

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 17:09:37 UTC 2015

TeamViewer sounded like an excellent suggestion, so this afternoon I
installed it on my desktop computer.  I then did a remote connection to
my laptop, which is connected to my LAN by wifi.  (Both computers are
running Ubuntu 12.04.)

Unfortunately I find that whilst I can control the 2nd computer from the
1st, changes to the laptop's display are not replicated in the window on
my main computer.  In other words, I can move windows around, type
characters, start applications etc., but the window on the desktop
computer stubbornly shows the layout as it was at the start and never
changes.  This is odd, because ticking "show remote cursor" does work: I
can see the remote cursor on my screen, and it correctly changes shape
e.g. when it is at the edge of a window on the remote machine, even
though the window is shown in the wrong place on the controlling
machine.

I have had similar problems in the past using Remmina and Vinagre when
connecting to my friend's computer (through her old router): then, I
found that although the connection worked OK for a short while, after a
minute or so my display would grind to a halt and refuse to update, so
it was impossible to do anything useful.

What could be causing this?

David