[Techtalk] website link checking that does orphans?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Apr 13 01:16:14 UTC 2015

Miriam English writes:
> Hi Akkana,
>
> I'm not sure if this suits what you want, but I would use wget to download
> the whole site to my hard drive and then run linklint on that.

Thanks -- I already have the site locally on my disk.  I guess
you're right that I could use wget to spider it again from localhost
and turn all the PHP links into html files. But that still wouldn't
solve the problem that linklint -orphan on a local file considers
".." to be part of the website, and so it escapes out of the web
directory and starts reporting every file inside my home directory
as being an orphan. That seems like a pretty serious flaw in
linklint, that there's no way to limit it to stay inside the root
directory I specified.

        ...Akkana