[Techtalk] C programming study group

Bethany Seeger bethany at seeger.ws
Thu Oct 2 13:05:00 UTC 2014

I'd love to join. I have significant experience in C, but am a little
rusty, so would like to join in and help out where I can.

Given that it is C, might be good to cover basic Makefile writing and
usage.  (or CMake?  What's more popular now?  You can start with out
them, but once you get into a project with more then a few files, you're
going to want one.).

Also, where I see people fall apart the most is memory management - I
would suggest that be between step 1 and 2 below, or at least an intro
to it  - stack vs. heap, static arrays versus dynamic arrays.  It really
takes a while for folks to grasp that, so I'd introduce that early and
often.   Though, I'd agree this depends on the level of programming
experience in general, but still probably good to cover, as higher level
languages don't give you quite the free range to shoot your own foot so
easily. :)

A professor I had in college wrote Pointers On C - I thought it was
pretty good.

-Bethany