[Techtalk] Any MySQL-less CMS Recommendations?

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Feb 15 20:56:19 UTC 2014

Quoting Terry <tech at futurecourse.com>:
> I'm not adverse to using a DB, but I was looking for something less
> resource intensive than MySQL considering my small VPS. I found one
> that uses MongoDB and several that use SQLite.  I guess what I
> really need is something that has less "features" out of the box.
> I'll never run a forum, have users, comments, need complex
> taxonomies, etc.

Indeed. I am not sure how lightly provisioned your VPS is but I am
guessing that the issue is less that you are running MySQL and more
that Drupal makes very heavy use of the database. There are certainly
fairly full featured CMSs that make lighter use of the database. Do
you have a preferred language? or specific features you want?

I have 2 blogs - on running on Octopress, http://octopress.org/, which
is a rewrite of Jekyll. So, static files + some rake tasks to combine
them into a full web site with minimal fussing. It gave me the two
things I really wanted: be able to compose in files using emacs and
looking OK out of the box.

My other blog was an experiment to try out the technology. It is
running on RadiantCMS, http://radiantcms.org/. It looks fine out of
the box (at least for me), has a non-evaling template language so you
can build some of the layout in the admin interface without worrying
too much about security problems. The one thing I don't love about it
- composing in a textarea in a web form - might be a plus for your
usecase. It is also extensible - though I haven't ever used that
aspect of it.

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu