[Techtalk] zoneminder, motion fail on ubuntu 13.10, no /dev/video0

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Feb 2 23:31:41 UTC 2014

Motion wants /dev/video0 even for the remote feed, so who knows what is
up with that. I shall ignore Motion for the time being, as it was just
another way to test getting the live camera feed.

The feed from the camera is simply over HTTP. Just like any other
wireless node on the network, so Ubuntu doesn't need any special
support. I finally got smart and copied the URL of the ZM video feed on
Mint 13 into a browser, and it worked there too, a nice live feed with
a timestamp and everything. It looks like this:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/zms?mode=jpeg&monitor=1&scale=100&maxfps=5&buffer=1000&connkey=860224&rand=1391382691

When I try it on Kubuntu it does this:

Not Found

The requested URL /cgi-bin/zms was not found on this server.

So...that seems to indicate an Apache config error. I've waded through
the config files and everything looks OK:

##/etc/apache2/conf-enabled/serve-cgi-bin.conf

<IfModule mod_alias.c>
	<IfModule mod_cgi.c>
		Define ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN
	</IfModule>

	<IfModule mod_cgid.c>
		Define ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN
	</IfModule>

	<IfDefine ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN>
		ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
		<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
			AllowOverride None
			Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews
	+SymLinksIfOwnerMatch Require all granted
		</Directory>
	</IfDefine>
</IfModule>

And the files are all present and in the right places:

$ ls usr/lib/cgi-bin
nph-zms  zms

Users and owners are all correct, permissions look good, services have
been restarted a paskillion times.  So I have NFI what is going on.

Carla