[Techtalk] zoneminder, motion fail on ubuntu 13.10, no /dev/video0

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Feb 2 20:50:17 UTC 2014

I'm nearly certain that the key here is the missing /dev/video0. Does
anyone know how Ubuntu 13.10 creates it? On my older Mint system (based
on Ubuntu 12.04) it is created at boot, so it is always available. I
have no idea how 13.10 handles this, other than poorly. Is this my
welcome to the fun new ever-encroaching world of Upstart?

This is how I created it manually:

mknod /dev/video0 c 81 0

NFI why that doesn't make buntu happy.

Carla