[Techtalk] Basic connection questions

Amanda Babcock Furrow alb at quandary.org
Mon May 27 22:18:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:00:47PM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:

> My scripts aren't something I'm recommending as a turnkey user-level
> solution. The documentation is way out of date and there are plenty
> of bugs. But if you're interested in understanding what's really
> going on with network setup, want to set up your network without
> touchy-feely tools like network manager, or want to beat your
> head against a slightly softer wall, take a look at my repo:
> https://github.com/akkana/netutils

Oh, god, thank you.  I've been listening to this conversation with
great interest because I found a memory leak in nm-applet was killing
my netbook, so now I only run nm-applet when I need to connect to
something - including every time I wake the netbook from sleep, which
was annoying :(

Additionally, for *years* now I've been befuddled at the way Linux
is not CLI-based anymore and troubleshooting things that seem like
they should be simple (like "how do I start my wifi without this GUI"
or "hey, terminal has an input scheme that isn't documented, where
can I find out how it was installed and what its layout is?" [never
did get an answer]) is nearly impossible for me since Google searches
are completely swamped by basic GUI question-answer pages, which are
not what I'm looking for.  I'm looking forward to switching to Arch
or something like it once I have fewer toddlers and more sleep :)

It is nice to know that somebody is doing the hard head-banging even
if I can't!

Amanda