[Techtalk] Basic connection questions

Maria McKinley mariak at mariakathryn.net
Mon May 27 18:46:47 UTC 2013

I see no reason why this isn't a fine place to post this question.

When NM first came out, I had some luck with uninstalling it and using
/etc/network/interfaces, but lately this hasn't worked, except on netbooted
machines. I'm not sure why exactly, but seems the powers that be really
want you to use NM. :/ I have found it to be less flaky then it use to be,
fwiw. I haven't tried it, but there are some configuration settings
outlined in this page

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

that enables NM to use network/interfaces, and do some other stuff that
gives you more control using configuration files instead of their tools.
Seems like this stuff should also work on Ubuntu.

cheers,
Maria

Maria Mckinley
Programmer and System Administrator