[Techtalk] Server Boot Loader

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Jan 28 02:10:42 UTC 2013

Sometime back I was given an old boat anchor server. Nothing fancy
but............. Can't complain about the price. I decided to see about
putting it into service here at home. Maybe host my personal web age on
it or something. I know virtually nothing about running a server so it's
a learning experience for me. Stretch my horizons a bit.

It;s an Intel pentium with a hardware RAID array. Right now four disks
as one disk. It's running Xubuntu right now but my problem is getting
Grub or Lilo to install on the raid array. I boot it from Super Grub on
a CD but that's a pain.

What I need right now is how to install Grub [ preferably ] or Lilo on
the RAID array. What I've found searching just confuses me. I need
simple, non-geek, language. I use Kubuntu every day but I have little to
no command line ability.

--

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”
-Albert Einstein