[Techtalk] mainframe careers

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 23:41:25 UTC 2013

Hey Carla,

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> howdy gang,
>
> Any mainframe peeps out there? I have the impression that a career in
> some kind of mainframe admin or programming job is one of the most
> stable tech jobs, and that people spending 30 years on the job is not
> uncommon in mainframe-land. Partly because unlike the PC world the
> technology is stable (and also very progressive and cutting-edge, but
> always with backwards-compatiblity), and not random and changing like in
> x86-land. True? Not true? Something else?

I am not one but there are mainframe careers are out there indeed. Usually
in the form contract opportunities,migration projects, conversions etc.,

Particularly if you are a nifty cobol programmer who can grasp PL/SQL for
data conversions and migrations there is a niche! Lot of banking systems,
university systems are still slowly transiting to Linux. I worked with
contacts at Ellucian which is one of the companies that relates to student
system implementations.

Best,

--
Gayathri Swaminathan