[Techtalk] Drupal 6 vs. 7 vs. 8

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Sun Jan 20 03:21:22 UTC 2013

Hey Carla,

Drupal 8 won't be ready by the end of June. Drupal 6 is definitely running
out of gas, and by early 2014, will be deprecated. So 7 is your answer,
especially if you are doing it this calendar year. If you can wait until
mid-late 2014, you might be able to do it, but there are a lot of
contributed modules that might not be caught up yet.

I'm exclusively building on Drupal 7, and experimenting with 8, but I don't
expect to develop a real production site for clients in 8 until the middle
2014 at the earliest. I expect to do a lot of migrations from 6-7 this year.

In general, skipping a version makes it tougher to upgrade, and given the
space between releases, and the rapidity of change in web design and UX
sensibilities, upgrading every version has made the most sense to me.

Peace,
Michelle