[Techtalk] Drupal 6 vs. 7 vs. 8

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Jan 20 02:08:41 UTC 2013

O Great Drupal Deities,

My main job is in-house Drupal jockey for a family of 8 sites with a
common codebase, but each site has a different editorial focus. We're
currently hosted on Acquia on Drupal 6. I believe Acquia does not
support Drupal 8 yet, so we're looking at migrating to Drupal 7.

I don't want to get into specifics for various reasons, but here are
some of the issues we're dealing with:

- our Drupal 6 setup is overly-customized, to the point of duplicating
  built-in Drupal functionality
- if Drupal 6 isn't officially end-of-life, it seems it's running out
  of gas anyway, and winding down to mainly security and bugfixes
- It seems that 8 is still far from a release date-- but are there
  reasons to consider skipping 7?
- We're probably wanting to have this done by the end of June.

Thoughts? Linkies? Words of wisdom?

Carla

--
Carla Schroder