[Techtalk] Stumped - accessing site on local server

Sheila Fenelon sheila at shefen.com
Mon Feb 11 01:42:07 UTC 2013

Billie Walsh wrote:
>>> I have tried the "cslsa" site [ 192.168.1.125/~cslsa/ ] in
>>> /home/billie0w/public and /var/www/public/. No luck.
>>>

>> userdir.conf defines
>> 192.168.1.125/~cslsa/ as pointing to /home/cslsa/public_html
>> Is cslsa a user? Does that directory exist?
>>

> The public_html goes after the cslsa?

Your userdir.conf has this
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
so, yes the pattern is /home/{login_id}/public_html

If you had a directory
 /home/billie0w/public_html/
then it would be web viewable from
http://192.168.1.125/~billie0w/

> The only thing I can find about adding a user to apache2 is to add a
> password to /usr/local//apache2//bin/htpasswd. I don't want it
> passworded.

That's for password protecting access to web pages. You don't want that.

> Other than that I don't know what you mean by "Is cslsa a
> user?"
>
> There's a cslsa directory in /home/billie0w/public/ and in
> /var/www/public/ right now while I'm trying to figure this out.

UserDir is for system users, like billie0w.

if you want this to work, http://192.168.1.125/~cslsa/
then you need a directory /home/cslsa/public_html/ for the web files.

Sheila