[Techtalk] Stumped - accessing site on local server

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Feb 11 01:09:12 UTC 2013

On 02/10/2013 04:50 PM, Sheila Fenelon wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> On 02/10/2013 02:56 PM, Sheila Fenelon wrote:
>>> I assume you have not activated UserDir on the server and are
>>> attempting to use a URL
>>> likehttp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/~cslsa/
>>>
>>> If that is incorrect then ignore the rest of this and post your
>>> userdir.conf
>> userdir.conf:
>>
>> <IfModulemod_userdir.c>
>> UserDir public_html
>> UserDir disabled root
>>
>> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>> AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
>> Options Multiviews Indexes SymlinksIfOwnerMatch
>> IncludesNoExec
>> <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
>> Order deny,allow
>> Allow from all
>> </Limit>
>> <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
>> Order deny,allow
>> Deny from all
>> </LimitExcept>
>> </Directory>
>> </IfModule>
>>

>> Reading through this I'm wondering if I am posting the site to the right
>> place.
>>
>> Right now I have the default site [ 192.168.1.125 - the one that was the
>> It Works page from Apache2 ] located in /home/billieo0w/public/ . It
>> works just fine.
>>
>> I have tried the "cslsa" site [ 192.168.1.125/~cslsa/ ] in
>> /home/billie0w/public and /var/www/public/. No luck.
>>

> userdir.conf defines
> 192.168.1.125/~cslsa/ as pointing to /home/cslsa/public_html
> Is cslsa a user? Does that directory exist?
>
> Sheila

The public_html goes after the cslsa?

The only thing I can find about adding a user to apache2 is to add a
password to /usr/local//apache2//bin/htpasswd. I don't want it
passworded. Other than that I don't know what you mean by "Is cslsa a user?"

There's a cslsa directory in /home/billie0w/public/ and in
/var/www/public/ right now while I'm trying to figure this out.

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein