[Techtalk] partitioning under linux

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 05:17:04 UTC 2013

From: Gnat Alie <linuxgnat at gmail.com>
> I have heard that gparted is the best program for partitioning under linux.
> I'm using Fedora 18 KDE. Is there a better option or is gparted the best?

I recommend creating a SystemRescueCD (really a USB stick nowadays),
booting from that, and then repartitioning using gparted.

A few comments:

1. Do NOT unless you know what you're doing accept Fedora's option of
lvm2.   Recovering a borked system that had lvm2 installed was a
full-day affair for me.

2. Last I heard, gparted and btrfs were not on good terms.

If you stay away from these two options and do not use RAID, the
gparted/SystemRescueCD option is pretty painless.

HTH,
Alison

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)                       {she-devel.com,