[Techtalk] https-ssl cert-mod_rewrite advice

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Aug 26 20:09:36 UTC 2013

Hello good Techtalkers!

I have a bit of a conundrum that surely you awesome peeps can help
with. My work sites, to keep the overbearing Googles happy, redirect all
http://www.sitename to http://sitename.

There are two things I want to accomplish: have SSL available for
 pages that need it, and when site visitors accidentally use an https://
 link, to shut up the stupid paranoid browsers that freak out when SSL
 certs are not exactly perfect and emit scary warnings.

What's the best approach to do this? Get SSL certs for all domains and
not worry about new mod_rewrite rules? We already have a UCC SSL cert
for our five http://sitename domains.

thanks!

Carla Schroder
Linux nerd and author of