[Techtalk] offsite backup for home users

Veronica K. B. Olsen jadzia626 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 10:11:22 UTC 2012

On 16 November 2012 02:53, Alison Chaiken <alchaiken at gmail.com> wrote:

> Veronica K. B. Olsen <jadzia626 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I keep no sensitive data on Dropbox.
>
> Dropbox suddenly asked me for root credentials once.   I stopped my
> work and nuked it on all my machines.
>
> > I also use git for a lot of other things.
>
> Me too, but it doesn't work well for LibreOffice presentations and the
> like.   There's nothing so much as "<<<HEAD .... >>>>" merge markers
> in your binaries!
>
> > For my private files, documents and pictures, I use SpiderOak.
>
> Sounds like SpiderOak is a choice I should consider.     How much are
> you paying?    Do you push to SpiderOak by hand, or via a script?
>
> Thanks again,
> Alison

SpiderOak uses an app just like Dropbox (comes as a 32 and 64 bit deb
package too), and comes with 2GB of free space, which is plenty for my
documents at least. The app doesn't sync everything in a folder like
Dropbox does, instead you set up backups of any folder you'd like and you
can set up a sync of backed up folders on different computers. Only thing I
have to complain about is their Android app ...

–Veronica