[Techtalk] Mistakes as a learning tool (was: Sound card gone missing - OSS/ALSA woes)

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:08:08 UTC 2012

Hey there,

Kathryn Marks wrote:

> I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has rendered a machine
> unbootable.  I think I was screwing around with SE Linux because it
> was being a PITA.  Thank goodness I had a mentor and a spare laptop
> with a working OS.

You're far from alone, and it's nice to hear that you've done it as
well. (:

> Speaking of mentors, how many of us had/have one?

No official mentor here, but I've had friends show me some stuff when
I first discovered computers. (:

> Mine has now got me working on a Fortran (why does that sound so
> big and bad) course of his.  I've failed at the python course here,
> laughed at the thought of me doing the C course and got nowhere
> with javascript on my own. Best I can do is abuse bash for small
> things.

Keep abusing Bash and you'll branch off into other things - like
Fortran - so you're there already!

I started with HTML many years ago and now consider myself a Jill of
all trades and master of none since I dabble in Bash, CSS, HTML,
JavaScript, XHTML, XML, and have dipped a couple of toes into the
Ruby pool, but am not officially trained in any of them.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.