[Techtalk] Sound card gone missing - OSS/ALSA woes

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Fri Mar 16 07:11:00 UTC 2012

Little Girl wrote:

> When I got my first computer a relative of mine said that I shouldn't
> be fearful of it, but just go ahead and mess around with it. He told
> me that everybody messes up their computers eventually, that he fully
> expected to be called to repair the damage from time to time, and
> that messing things up is actually a good thing because it's a
> learning process. He was right. I've learned a lot through my
> screw-ups over the years. (:

I couldn't agree more. Today we have a growing cultural prejudice
against making mistakes, but in truth is one of our most important ways
of learning. I often tell friends who are impressed with the amount I
know on various computery things that it is largely the result of having
made more mistakes than most people. Heaven knows how many times I've
totally screwed up my computers.
See also the quote in my sig below.

Cheers,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory