[Techtalk] Sound card gone missing - OSS/ALSA woes

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 05:42:59 UTC 2012

Hey there,

TraceyC wrote:
> On 03/14/2012 12:59 PM, Little Girl wrote:

> > Aw, poor guy. You might want to change that to only having him
> > add or remove things under supervision, and then praise him
> > wildly for any successes because he sounds very enthusiastic, and
> > it would be a shame to squelch that. I suspect he'll make a very
> > good Linux guru one day. (:

> I agree that encouraging his enthusiasm for learning is a good
> thing. It seems, however, he can't be trusted to abide by a verbal
> request to not add or remove anything. As a sysadmin, I'd restrict
> him to a wheel account without the ability to break things that
> only root can break. A wheel account has the flexibility to add
> more ability to change things as he learns while keeping him to the
> agreement to not futz with things he shouldn't.

A wheel account sounds good, and then letting him out of it from time
to time with the full awareness that he might end the world would be
good, too.

When I got my first computer a relative of mine said that I shouldn't
be fearful of it, but just go ahead and mess around with it. He told
me that everybody messes up their computers eventually, that he fully
expected to be called to repair the damage from time to time, and
that messing things up is actually a good thing because it's a
learning process. He was right. I've learned a lot through my
screw-ups over the years. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.