[Techtalk] backups outside subnet

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Tue Jun 19 21:14:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 08:22:04AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Meryll Larkin thought:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I need a backup solution where the backup server on a LAN (with a LAN subnet
> address) can perform backups on machines with public IP addresses.
>
> daemon on the Client.  All of that is working fine.  Then the problem:  the
> File Daemon on the Client needs to contact the Storage Daemon on the Server
> and to do that, it needs either an IP address or Hostname that will resolve
> from the Client.
>
> If I owned all the pieces, I'd NAT it in the firewall.  I don't own the
> firewall.  One possible solution I found online was an SSH Tunnel.  That
> doesn't work in my environment, at least not the way the author wrote it.  I
> can't assign a false IP address to my host in /etc/hosts.

I don't know Bacula at all but is it possible to have the client File
Daemon contact the server Storage Daemon on localhost?  If so, the ssh
tunnel should work.  Basically, you have the server open an ssh tunnel to
the client with a reverse port specified.  The client File Daemon then
addresses localhost:port which is tunnelled to server:port and the Storage
Daemon on the server listens to that port.

ssh -R 1011:localhost:1011 client <some long-lived command>

If the server Storage Daemon listens to port 1011 and the client File
Daemon contacts its localhost:1011, that should route back to the server.

Apologies if this is a repeat of what the online solution said...

Conor

--
Conor Daly <conor.daly at cod.homelinux.org>
http://www.geekcode.com/ http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/