[Techtalk] backups outside subnet

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Sun Jun 17 17:46:01 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-17 08:22:04 -0700, Meryll Larkin said:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I need a backup solution where the backup server on a LAN (with a LAN subnet
> address) can perform backups on machines with public IP addresses.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion of a backup program that runs on Linux that
> can do that?

At work we use BackupPC, http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
It uses ssh from the server to the clients, and as far as I know (from
specifying the firewall openings) it doesn't need anything but port 22
(or whichever ssh-port you want to use).

I don't work on the server end, but in the client end we've been able to
restore backups whenever we expected it, so from that end it works fine
:)

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.